Now What? What Australia Taught Me!

Hey all,

It's been a long time since I last posted about Australia.... Of course by now, I'm back home and Australia seems little more than a distant memory (literally 9,211 miles away). I can't believe it when I say that I've been back in America for 97 days already- THREE MONTHS!? The time never stops flyin' on by, that's for sure...

It's honestly crazy to think about how my life now is drastically different than it was six months ago when I was in the middle of my semester on the other side of the world. I'm back at Valparaiso University for my junior year and I'm busier than ever- I'm a Residential Assistant on campus and the Program Coordinator for our Overnight Visit Programs, dancing on the ballroom team, taking harp lessons, applying for summer internships, and trying to figure out life here at Valpo again all at once. Saying it's been a whirlwind of adjustment back here state-side is an understatement.

The reason I decided to write this post is because I realized I never really got to close out my blog and wrap up my experience in Australia. Whether for your benefit or mine, I think it is nice to know that this project I started just over 7 months ago can be put to rest and I will find comfort in the completion of an experience well done. Aaaaand I have a final reflection due for my Study Abroad Reintegration class so I figured it would be easier to just get it all done at once! ;D

The central question of this reintegration class has been "Now What?".....What do I do now that my experience is over? How do I readjust to life back home? What do I do with the skills I learned abroad and how do I apply them to life? How have I changed from this experience? How do these changes affect how I view myself or my purpose? How might my view of my identity or where I belong be different now than it was before this experience?

To be honest, I've really appreciated having this class as a chance to reflect on my study abroad experience because it's encouraged me to actually take the time to engage with these questions. Like I said, life is pretty dang busy here at Valpo this semester, why would I take the time to think about the past? It happened, it's over, cool, I'm ready to move on. But that's not how it works- or at least not how it should work... I know I am a busy bee by nature and I'm so used to just jumping back into life and running full speed ahead that I don't always take the time to slow down and think about the impact that this amazing, worldly experience has had on me. Now that I've taken a few weeks to think about what last semester has meant to me, I'd like to express some of those thoughts here.

The weirdest question for me to think about has been evaluating what "home" means to me now that I've had this experience of living by myself in a totally new country for 4 months. I personally feel like I've had a lot of homes, and the experience abroad has made that definition even more complicated. Born in Minnesota, raised in Wisconsin, attending school in Indiana, and studying abroad in Australia, my "home" is more complicated than just the house I grew up in. I'm not sure I've come to a conclusion on this issue yet, but if anything, I've realized that my home doesn't have to just be one place or one state- it can be, if I so choose, the entire world in which I live. After studying abroad, I like to think I'm no longer constrained by artificial geographic boundaries. Sure, I was born in America, so I am "American," but what does that really mean? I didn't choose to be American, it's just the political identification I was given depending on where I was born. While this is getting into the debate of culture and cross-cultural exchanges or identities, I simply like to think that I don't have to be just American anymore- maybe I can be a global citizen too, seeing the world in a totally different, open, inclusive and exciting way. I'm allowed to continue experiencing life outside of the American bubble I grew up in. Just because I come from the United States doesn't mean I have to stay here or dictate where I'm allowed to go. As I've struggled to adjust to being back in the United States, this thought has comforted me because I know that my home can be wherever I choose for it to be, and the new place in Australia that has my heart can hold a place in my heart alongside the American 'home" I am more familiar with.

On a less philosophical note, over the course of my semester abroad, I learned a lot of really positive things about myself that I thought would be worth recording, offering a snapshot in time of who 2018 Jessica thinks she is. Perhaps future Jessica may one day come back to this post and reflect on the progress I've (hopefully) made since. Anyway, I don't exactly remember my initial reasons for deciding to study abroad, but in retrospect, the one thing I am most thankful for is that it gave me the opportunity to think about how I define myself as a person, what my values and goals are in life, and how I relate to the people around me. Here are some of the lessons I've learned since returning to America after my semester abroad:

  • Don't be afraid to trust yourself. You don't need to rely on others to show you what to do- you just spent 4 months in a brand new country, travelling by yourself, and the biggest casualty you had was losing a water bottle, how impressive is that??
  • You are where you are for a reason- but you also have the power to change it if you really want to. Every decision is in your control and you have a good head on your shoulders to take you in the right direction.
  • Your passion is powerful. Pursue what sets your soul on fire and nothing will be able to stop you.
  • It's important to experience new things to appreciate what you have. Australia and Valpo were night and day environments, and while things may not have been like you expected, don't let that prevent you from seeing and appreciating what each place has to offer.
  • It's okay to not be a social butterfly. You accepted that you don't have to force yourself to hang out with people all the time and be someone you're not- you know that you're much more comfortable having a small group of really close friends that you can rely on rather than knowing a bunch of people.
  • You're much more than just your smarts. You're kind, loyal, curious, driven, quirky, ambitious, compassionate, empathetic, musical, and creative. Don't let your success be only defined by your grades, and realize the worth of your other amazing attributes and talents.
  • You have a huge heart. You have the space to care about a lot of people and you can let this drive your interactions. You want to see the world full of happiness, peace, safety, and security and are determined to be part of this solution somewhere in the world.
  • Follow what makes you excited. You will get so much more out of life if you find those moments that truly engage your soul and focus on the aspects in life that you truly care about.
  • Never stop asking questions. The world is an endless place of information and possibility.
  • Believe in yourself. If Australia has taught you nothing else, it should at least assure you that you are capable of anything you put your mind to.
  • Take charge of your life. Channel your inner Ghandi- you have the power to be the change you want to see in this world. Don't be afraid to take that step- the best time to start is now.

Studying abroad in Australia was an experience that allowed me to truly ground myself in who I am and where I am going. I know that is a vague statement, and perhaps it is impossible to convey what this means. But, when I finally got back to my house in Appleton in late November, I will always remember that moment of pure clarity I had when I walked outside, breathed in the crisp, fresh, Wisconsin autumn air, and suddenly had the oddest sensation of total inner peace wash over me. I had done it. I had gone to Australia, accomplished heaps of amazing things, and made it home safely, still in one picce. Now I feel confident that I am prepared to tackle whatever challenge will ever come my way again and know that I am stronger because of this amazing program I got to participate in.

It's definitely odd thinking that all of my Australian friends started their new school year on Monday of this week. It's weird that life has gone on and the cycle has continued. I'm not there anymore, yet I'm comforted knowing that Australia will always still be a part of me. It is a part of me when I walk across the frozen Valpo campus and flashback to hanging out at the beach. It is a part of me when I accidentally use Australian lingo and people look at me funny. It is a part of me when I randomly remember the fun fact that Tasmanian sheep outnumber the human population 5 to 1 or that I scuba-dived in the Great Barrier Reef and saw a real turtle (Can you believe that actually happened!?)

I am so grateful that I gave myself this opportunity to study abroad and learn about myself and a new culture in the process. It is so rewarding to say that experiencing this crazy, wonderful, Aussie part of the world is now part of my life story forever. Australia changed me in ways I would never have predicted, and I can't wait to see what the next adventure has in store. The world is a big place and it better watch out- I've only just begun my journey.

Thank you, Australia, for everything you've given me. I hope one day we will meet again!

Forever grateful,

Jessica Hanson, Global Citizen

Comments